Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Happy Hanukkah! Happy Freedom!

Oh yes. I've taught Church Sunday school; and for 6 years. All ages.

One of the songs...

Give me oil for my lamp, keep it burning
Give me oil for my lamp, I pray
Give me oil for my lamp, keep it burning
Keep it burning till the light of day

Sing Hosanna, Sing Hosanna,
Sing Hosanna, to the Lord our King
Sing Hosanna, Sing Hosanna

..comes immediately into my mind, as my mouth smiles -- reading John Tabin's "Miracles of Freedom" this morning at American Spectator. Mr. Tabin is celebrating the good signs and news of freedom on the march in the Middle East.

He concludes his article with:

" Two thousand, one hundred seventy-one years ago, a group of traditionalist Jews called the Maccabees resisted the policies of Greek tyrant Antiochus IV, who had outlawed Jewish customs in an effort to Hellenize the Jews. They won an unlikely victory in the name of their religious freedom, retaking, rebuilding, and cleansing the sacred Temple of Judea, which had fallen into disrepair. According to tradition, one day's worth of oil miraculously kept the Temple's eternal light burning for eight days. This is the miracle that we Jews celebrate during Hanukkah, which began last night at sundown.

How appropriate that this year, miracles of freedom seem imminent in so many corners of the globe. "

No comments: