Thursday, May 26, 2005

N.C. Officials Investigate Cross Burnings

DURHAM, N.C. - Three large crosses were burned in separate spots around the city during a span of just over an hour, and yellow fliers with Ku Klux Klan sayings were found at one location, police said.

The cross burnings Wednesday night marked the first time in recent memory that one of the South's most notorious symbols of racial hatred has been seen in the city.

The first burning was reported at 9:19 p.m. outside St. Luke's Episcopal Church. The next came at 9:54 p.m. atop a large pile of dirt near an apartment complex construction site; the third was at 10:28 p.m. at a downtown intersection.

My eyes are barely open, and I see this. I am not at all a supporter of racial identity politics. Of any kind. My gut tells me that "KKK' didn't do this. Durham is a hotbed of drug and gang activity. Near nightly are news reports of "minority" crimes and criminal behaviors. Usually, black on black crime.

My gut tells me there's far more to the story than just "KKK" cross burnings. My own two cents? Turf War. But it could also be "we need more money" to set minority kids "straight". Why? A most recent and heinous murder of a Pakistani convenience store owner by three young black thugs doing what appeared to be a "gang" initiation act. Blurbs appear throughout news of "leadership" claiming the town of Durham needs MORE programs for minority youths. The whole thing stinks.

If, in fact, KKK is responsible, I can't see the motive. But then stupid is as stupid does and stupid knows no boundaries.

No comments: