Tuesday, July 26, 2005

More nonsense from bored activists

Harry Potter and the Half-Wit Prigs
By Tim Worstall, Tech Central Station



It has to be said that simple, uncluttered delights seem far and few in a world concentrating (and rightly so) on maniacal Muslim fanatics. So when one such pleasure comes around, it gets annoying to see the anti-just-about-everything types find some way to rain on our parade.

And this is pretty much what Greenpeace Int'l has done with the latest installment of Harry Potter.

I actually read my first Harry Potter book just a few days ago... the 4th in the series. I don't get much time to read, mostly since my reading habits are deplorable. Fact is, I pick up a book and become so enchanted with the alternative universe of my imagination that I cannot put it down until I'm done. Work, food, daily tasks all fall by the wayside until the last page. I lose days this way.... And, upon completion, I am wholly reticent to return to the real world.

But for all the fuh-fer-ah about the Potter series in the beginning, I thought it was a delightful vacation from real life. It's a subject matter that still obviously pits good against evil.... and invariably good wins, but not without it's cost. How could anyone have made such protests against literature that mesmerizes children and makes reading a pleasure, yet still delivers the moral message we want our kids to receive?

Greenpeace, not addressing the content, instead dashes the physical packaging of the latest Rawlings offering. Evidently the book will have far more impact on US readers if it's printed on recycled paper, and purchased from Canadian sources.

Has this group so little to do? Not to mention the entire premise is utterly absurd, their claims of damaging trees being thoroughly debunked by Mr. Worstall. Then again, the tree huggers have always had problems comprehending the world "renewable" when addressing renewaable resources man has been using ever since he figured out how.

For your next face to face with the tree hugger kill joys, you might want to Mr. Worstall's offering linked above. Me? I didn't need it... went out and purchased the book last night, printed in the USA and supporting my American businesses. Not only am I inclined to "buy American" at every opportunity, I am hooked.

No comments: